Its the Husband's birthday today so yesterday Bea and I baked him a birthday cake. We bake together most weeks so this wasn't an unusual activity for us. As normal my priority was speed and simplicity to avoid complete destruction of the kitchen and Bea's priority was seeing how much icing she could get away with eating.
The mixing of the cake went quite well - apart from when Bea tipped flour on her feet - it was the cooking where things went wrong. I had turned on the grill instead of the oven. Luckily I noticed after about 5 minutes that the top was browning rather quickly but it may be the reason for the cake being flat as a pancake. It is green because Bea has allocated that as Daddy's favourite colour (apparently mine is orange!) and the writing is in red because thats what I had in the cupboard. That explains why it looks like some sort of halloween party cake. Also Bea's distribution of sprinkles is a little uneven but we hoped the sparkler thing would distract from that.
Hopefully the result is endearing. I'll be sending Bea to cake decorating school as soon as shes old enough. Although maybe I can't talk - I'm the one who grilled the cake.
Now the knitting is out of the way I have finally started on the Daisy Chain sampler kit. I'm on my third letter now and really enjoying it. I haven't got much embroidery experience so I'm sure mine won't look quite as perfect as Alicias but I am trying my best to keep it neat!
Hooray and hallelujah! I have finally finished knitting this little top for Bea that I feel like I have ben working on forever! That was partially due to a lack of knitting time and also having to restart about three times due to KWT (knitting when tired.)
The pattern also only went up to 24 months so I was doing made up maths as I went along to make it a bit bigger. Seems to have worked though!
The pattern is intended to be a dress but I decided to make it a top as it will be a more useful addition to Bea's wardrobe like that. And thank goodness I didn't have to go on knitting a whole dress! I don't know what it was about this project that made it seem such a slog - it was pretty easy and I really like the results.
I finished it off with two little floral covered buttons which I think are really cute. Now maybe if the autumn ever turns up she can wear it!